Sunday, April 29, 2012

Why Being a Little Girl in the 90s Was So Much Fun!


What better time to be a little girl than in the 90s?


All my school supplies were Lisa Frank brand…
All my folders had psychadelic, rainbow puppies and kittens, and my notebooks had rainbow-making unicorns. I also had a book of Lisa Frank stickers and stuck them EVERYWHERE. Once and a while my mom still finds one my stickers stuck behind a couch or under a coffee table in our house.

















I was all about the “Girl Power” music…
Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and of course the Spice Girls were always on my CD Mix that I would play on my walkman religiously. I was a preteen girl and that’s the kind of music preteens would listen to- Don’t judge me.








I wore Jellies…
They were comfortable, waterproof and cute sandal-like shoe that came in every color. I had a pair of red ones and even though they were supposed to be a summer shoe, I wore them every season and all year round.





I had 5,000 scrunchies... Or more...  Literally…



Big scrunchies, little scrunchies, rainbow scrunchies, neon scrunchies, scrunches with detachable flowers and butterflies- I had them all! Besides being a fabulous hair accessory, they were also fun to fling at my brother.








My Beanie Baby collection was impressive…
I was a serious Beanie Baby collector. I would make my mom drive to the local pharmacy or toy store so I could see if they we’re selling and beanies that I didn’t have yet. Funny enough, I rarely ever played with them; they were more of a financial investment. I was so convinced my Beanie Babies were going to be worth something one day so I would put a plastic cover around the “Ty” tags, because without their tags they were considered worthless. I also bought a Beanie Baby collector’s book that listed how much each was worth and their expected growth in value. Turns out, Beanie Babies aren’t so precious and valuable today. This is when I decided to never pursue a career in finances.



My friends and I played Girl Talk at every slumber party...
Every weekend my friends and I would look forward to having a slumber party and playing the pre-teen board game Girl Talk. Why did we love this game? It was a “truth or dare” type game that involved admitting our boy crushes and daring us to call our boy crushes. Above all, this game taught us the fun in gossiping and being girly.




Clueless was my favorite movie...
 It was a movie that made being a ditzy, rich, and materialistic girl look awesome. In retrospect, it probably wasn’t the most appropriate movie for a young girl to watch, but whatever. This was a movie that defined many colorful aspects of 90’s pop culture. The fashion: baby doll dresses, doc martens, and belly shirts. The slang: “What-ever,” “Like totally,” “Like, DUH!” It’s a great 90’s movie that will forever hold a special nostalgic place in my heart.



1 comment: