Thursday, April 19, 2012

15 Songs From The 90s That Just Came to Mind


Baby one more time (Britney Spears)
 In the 90s, Britney Spears was crowned my generation’s pop princess, and we welcomed her with open arms. Every little girl wanted to be Britney, and how could they not... She was the southern girl next-door, who sang sexy songs with her adorable nasally voice, she wore sexy bellyshirts that revealed her cool bellybutton ring, and almost all her songs contained sexual innuendos. Maybe she wasn’t the greatest rolemodel for young girls, but then again she did warn us that she’s “not so innocent.”






Waterfalls (TLC)
To this day, I’m not quite sure what the female R&B trio meant when they said “Don’t go chasing waterfalls.” I’m sure there’s some deep meaning to it that I’ve been too lazy to figure out. I remember that these ladies made baggy jeans look sexy.







MMM-Bop (Hanson)
They were three brothers with pretty faces, long blonde hair, and were actually incredibly lame to say the least. I wasn’t a big Hansen fan per say, but I won’t deny the fact that when this song played on the radio, I couldn’t resist mmm-bopping it.




Jump Around (House of Pain)
I think it’s fair to say that this was the official “party anthem of the 90s. And of course, we all jumped around when this song came on because we do what we are told.



Wannabe  (Spice Girls)
 I was a HUGE Spice Girls fan- HUGE. Yes, I was all about the “girl power.” I must have listened to this song over 1000 times (literally), and to this day, I still know every single word.



 
Livin’ la Vida Loca (Ricky Martin)
Oh Ricky Martin… Women couldn’t help but drool over the sexy Latin singer with tight leather pants and frosted hair. This was kind of song you couldn’t help but to shake your “bon bon” to.









Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice)
What do you get when you combine early rap and “Under Pressure” by the legendary Queen and David Bowie- you get the first hip hop single to ever top the Billboard charts. 




Baby Got Back (Sir Mix-A-Lot)
I’m pretty sure everyone and their mother knows all the words to this little jewel of a song. Sure it’s downright offensive and completely objectifies women; but let’s be honest, in the end, it’s a song about butts… A sense of humor is required to appreciate this epic song.




What's My Age Again? (Blink 182)
I was a pretty big Blink 182 fan (still am) and this song is probably one of my favorites. I remember its awesome music video, in which the band runs through public streets butt naked.




Genie in a Bottle (Christina Aguilera)
 In retrospect, I’m not sure why my parents let me listen to such a song that was clearly filthy with sexual implications. I can actually remember seeing the music video on the Disney channel, and was shocked at even a young age. What, was everyone innocently blind during the 90s?




Getting Jiggy With It (Will Smith)
Will Smith wanted to create clean rap songs and this was supposed to be one of them- I’ve heard many interpretations of the term “getting jiggy with it,” some of which are not very “clean” per say. It’s not your fault, Mr. Smith… “A” for effort.






Tearin’ Up My Heart (Nsync)
As mentioned in previous blog posts, I was a die-hard Nsync fan. Next to “Bye Bye Bye” this was my other top favorite. This song definitely makes me miss the boy band era.




Shoop (Salt N’ Pepa)
This was the first and only song I learned to rap. The story is my babysitter was obsessed with this song, and played it all the time when she would watch me. I learned every little verse, yet I had no idea what any of it meant at 8-years-old. I’ll never forget the look on my mother’s face when she heard me rap: “licked him like a lollypop should be licked.” She cried and then gave me the “Birds and the Bees” talk. Precious memories.





Gangsta’s Paradise (Coolio)
A song that still has a place on iPod and plays from time to time. In the 90s, Coolio seriously was the coolest. Nowadays, he’s nowhere to be found… Where in the world is Coolio and his crazy hair?






Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
The 90s were known for its grunge movement, and Nirvana dominated as a grunge icon. Even if you didn’t like this style of music, you couldn’t help but rock out and get pumped up to this song.


No comments:

Post a Comment