Tuesday, March 6, 2012

If You Were Trendy in the 90s Then You Probably Had...


Slap bracelets- one of the more dangerous accessories of the 1990s’. They were a flat strip of flexible stainless steel wrapped in fabric or plastic. When the strip is straightened out, gently “slap” it on your forearm, and it wraps around your wrist- Wah-lah! You got yourself a hot bracelet. I remember my school banned these after kids were injured from the sharp metal sticking out of their worn-out slap-its.







Overalls- the 90s’ were a time when farmers were effortlessly fashionistas. Yes, somehow overalls were considered stylish. They didn’t have a long fashionable lifespan, but many people enjoyed the lazy look- some were even in denial and sported this look way after it died. I had a few pairs… sometimes I rocked only one strap hooked- you might say I was somewhat of a fashion risk-taker.






Skorts- if you were a little girl in the 90s, I bet you owned a few skorts (shorts/skirt). I was somewhat of a tomboy in my younger days and my mother constantly begged me to wear girly- clothes. I guess you could say that the skort was a way of comprising with my mother.  I could run and play sports with the boys without showing my underwear because under that awkward skirt flap were a pair shorts.  





Belly shirts- apparently females felt the need to bare their midrifts during this decade. For the most part, it looked like girls were shopping at the Baby Gap for their tops. Belly shirts were all the rage, especially if you had a taunt tummy. Even those without killer abs were all about these trendy tops.
















The Rachel-Do- I can still remember sitting in the hair salon, at 9 years old, and telling my hairdresser that I wanted the “Rachel.” Rachel, a character  played by Jennifer Aniston on the hit show friends, sported a haircut all girls and women wanted throughout the 90s.











The Mushroom haircut (AKA the bowl-cut)
- it was a hairstyle many boys sported in the early nineties, including my own older brother. It looked exactly like its funghi name, or like a haircut one of the three stooges had.








The Grunge Look- messy greasy hair, plaid flannel shirts, and ripped jeans… That’s right, I’m talking about the Grunge look. Under the definition of grunge, you’ll probably see Kirk Cobain from Nirvana. This look was punk-meets- bum who hasn’t showered in months. I don’t miss this style at all.









Yes, many of these styles may seem hideous now, and you may be asking yourself: Why did I ever think these fashion trends were cool? Why would I wear this and what in the world was going through my head when I styled my hair like that? These are trivial questions, and we may never find the answers… No, the truth is our culture told us these looks were trendy. Naturally, we believed it and we did look cool… According to pop culture’s definition of “cool” during the time. I will admit that I, myself, was a victim of these terrible fashion fads; However, I have no regrets and I suggest you let go of your shame, too. After all, in 20 years, even the most fashionable people will probably look back at their fashion now and say: What was I thinking?!

No comments:

Post a Comment